San Marcos Foothills
Several hundred years ago the South Coast region in which San Marcos Foothills Preserve is located was the domain of the Chumash Indians, who lived in permanent moved back and forth from shore to hills as fishers and traders. The foothills area ultimately became part of the extensive La Paloma Ranch, established not during the Mexican period but after American sovereignty over California was achieved in 1847. From the 1970s to 1998 there were a handful of proposed developments.; a proposal in 1998 for an equestrian community of 75 homes was denied and became the impetus for San Marcos Foothills Coalition. Bermant Development received County approval for 15 single family lots and 5 condominiums and in 2007 donated the remaining 200 acres to Trust for Public Land. San Marcos Foothill Preserve is now a County Park. The Coalition continues its work to ensure proper management and restoration.